Tuesday 15 January 2013

Lidsville.



Quentin Tarantino was being interviewed on the telly the other day. I presume he was talking about his new film but to be honest I wasn't listening to a word he said.  I was too busy staring at his hat.
What was he wearing it for?  He was inside a TV studio under spotlights, he must have been sweating litres so why the need for a hat?

It looked like the sort of hat that kids selling newspapers on New York streets wore in black and white films from the 1930's. Maybe he was wearing the hat to try and look like Samuel L Jackson who has been known to sport similar headgear. The big difference is that Samuel L Jackson would still look cool wearing a paisley dressing gown and fluffy bunny slippers whereas Quentin Tarantino sort of looks like a banana.

I own three hats.  One is a woolly, double lined one that keeps my head warm when hiking in the mountains,  another is woolly hat that I bought at a Diamond Head concert years ago that I wear when running in cold weather and my third is one that my friend bought for me on my birthday and my wife hates.

This is a sort of camouflage baseball cap with a camouflage mesh that hangs under the peak and is supposed to hide my face when hunting.  As I don't go hunting I wear this back to front when hiking in summer to keep the sun off my neck.  My wife says it makes me look as though I should be driving a pick up truck around Alabama while throwing beer cans out of the window and shooting critters.

My argument in my defence is that my three hats serve a purpose, they are protection against the elements.
Whereas celebrities seem to wear hats for hat's sake.  They are a fashion accessory much like carrying a ratty little dog in a handbag or giving their children stupid names.



There seems to come a point when celebrities common sense just switches off and they start looking at hats and thinking how cool and cutting edge they would look in them.  and because they are surrounded by sycophants feeding off their success there is no-one to tell them how stupid they look.

Or maybe I am just a cantankerous, intolerant bastard who looks rubbish in a hat.

I have also put two pictures in my post rather than the usual one as it is a whole new year and I decided to make some changes. I'm spoiling you lot.



22 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Well they do seem to lose all sense, but then also they get paid to wear certain stuff because then all the kiddies will buy the god awful looking hats too.

Workingdan said...

Two whole pictures? Man, we are spoiled!

I'm a hat guy myself. No, not the trendy fashion hats you speak of. Just regular old caps, sporting my favorite sports team. It's a means to just get up and go without the worries of brushing my hair.

I also have a rant on hats that has been brewing for some time now. Maybe after seeing this post it will inspire me to unleash hell on the hat wearing world!

Anonymous said...

Hah! Don't be too nice, I'm American and I might cry. As for hats, A)I suspect Mr. T is follically challenged in some way; and B)Tell your wife not to complain until you wear the Elmer Fudd cap.

Tony Van Helsing said...

Pat: Good point. Celebrity endorsement of head wear.

Dan: Get ranting my lad. Now comb your hair.

Alta: Another good point. I'm going to Google Tarantino's hairline.

Kelly Polark said...

I'm not much of a hat wearer myself (unless it's really cold.)
QT just wants to look a bit edgy or something I'm sure. Or he's having a bad hair day.

Janie Junebug said...

I love hats. They keep the sun out of my eyes, and they can be so pretty. I fell in love with hats the first moment I saw Princess Diana wearing one. Then when I see the Queen in a hat, I feel a little barfy.

Love,
Janie

Anita said...

I'm sitting here all by myself wearing a lovely black hat with a lovely black flower on it. And I'm laughing!

The Angry Lurker said...

Have we forgotten baldness?

Stina said...

*snort* love the spoiling.

Maybe the hat is absorbing the sweat and there's a fan inside keeping him cool. :)

SkippyMom said...

I for one, LOVE hats and rue the fact that I was born in the wrong decade where we don't wear them daily to simply run to the grocery or off to work. And a man in a fedora? SWOON. I love Pooldad in a hat, but especially a felt fedora, silk line, with a grosgrain hatband. Ahhhh....throw on his black trench and I am putty, putty I tell you!

I do have to agree with your observations on what tools celebs look like wearing hats for no purpose but to what? Look "cool", "hip"? What I especially hate here is that no one knows the etiquette of hat wearing, such as you do NOT wear one at the dining table. No, I don't care that you will have hat hair, touch beans, take the damn thing off, we're eating and it's a sign of respect. The worst tho' is [American] football Sundays here and the one dope that wears his team jersey, complete with baseball type cap, logo included to Mass on Sundays. And it isn't for our home team [not that that would make it okay, but still. . .] Really? I have seen all manner of things in Church and I know the argument is "God doesn't care what you wear as long as you show up" but I beg to disagree. It is a simply and easy thing to dress appropriately to show your respect for where you are - and Church is probably at the top of places not to wear a ballcap or remove your hat when you enter [women exempt for dress hats of course - but the earflap type hats? Lose it lady. I swear]
Okay - I have prattled on too long, but in summation ::giggle:: hats rock if you look good in them, AND wear them appropriately, removing when etiquette dictates and there should be a ban on taking communion if your alliance to your team is more important than your faith. So there :P heehee
Hugs to you my friend. Nice to see you, always. xox Skip

SkippyMom said...

PS - [and you thought I was finished? HA! giggle]

I think you should post a pic' of you in a hat and allow us to decide if you look like rubbish or not. I just bet you are being a wee bit too hard on yourself.

I'll do it if you do it...dare ya'!

Margaret said...

I love hats. I would wear hats everyday if I could pull it off.

Adam said...

I wear hats on rare occasion

Az said...

It's true that hats have become an accessory but even I find it uncomfortable and impractical to be wearing one indoors. Wasn't it considered rude to enter a house with ones hat still on? Anyway, that's just another thing to add to a long list of things that is wrong with the world.

Outcast said...

I have to agree with you on this, the guy might make some good films but that hat is most definitely a bad fashion choice, I don't find hats to be a good look at the best of times in all honesty but wearing such a bad one indoors is definitely a bad idea in my opinion as well.

Britta said...

Dear Tony,
as a hat-aholic my comment might be biased (though I thought, when I saw the first picture of your blog on my blog-list: What sort of photograph is that?)
Maybe the owners (and wearers) of hats just like change, or have a bad hair-day, or give a damn about what other people think. Maybe they - and, in another form: others :-) - just have fun?

Nicki Elson said...

Maybe QT didn't take a shower that day. That's usually why I wear hats. Plus I look adorable in them.

PK HREZO said...

Spoiling us, indeed. ;)

Cool pics, tho! Yep Quentin does look pretty daft in that hat--like he thinks he's way cooler than he is. He really hasn't impressed me since Pulp Fiction.

Jules said...

If he was a proper celebrity he's also be wearing sunglasses. INSIDE.

Bart said...

i wear a hat inside at work usually, mainly to keep the engine grease out of my hair

Al Penwasser said...

I wonder if he knows he's wearing it backwards?

Amy said...

I am of the hat-challenged fate myself. I look absolutely horrid in hats, but like the idea of it. Wondering if that means my face is really not attractive unless framed by my hair. Oh the horror!